The garden is getting underway! This makes me so very happy.
Over the weekend Bob put the collards in our big 30×20 garden, covered them with mini hoop houses, and seeded what’s left of last year’s Kennebec potatoes into a wooden potato bin. The Kennebecs did really well in the potato bins last year, so we expect a decent harvest this fall as well. But overall, we’ve decided we’re only doing this one variety of potato this year, mostly because I’m on Keto and meals with potatoes are considered cheat meals for me. I really miss Hungarian Mess, but am down 33 lbs and aim to keep it off. We’re not sure what we’re going to do with the other two potato bins, probably set them in the shed until next year. *shrugs* Right now they’re resting in place, preventing grass from growing neatly around the deck.
In my 12×3 shed-side garden, I direct seeded two varieties of kale (lacinato and curly), and some swiss chard. I also seeded a bunch of buttercrunch lettuce in a half barrel container. There are a handful of other lettuces growing in the garage still, and those will be transplanted very soon. I just ran out of time and energy yesterday.
The biggest “chore” yesterday was re-potting loads of seedlings that needed it. Since I’m also growing 4 varieties of flowers from seed, I needed more appropriately sized containers. In hind sight, I wish I had these containers to start them in, and I will next year, but for this year I had to go buy more flowers in order to obtain the right size containers. That meant, before I could start re-potting, I had to plant the new flowers. I put them in 2 of the 3 sweet potato pots and one other smaller one. The smaller one went out on the front porch and we set the other two bigger pots near the corners of the garden, hoping to attract pollinators. So now I will have something like 7 or 8 varieties of pollinator-friendly flowers. I transplanted the spindly marigod seedlings into the empty store-bought flower containers. Those are now sitting by the back door, since there is no room elsewhere and it was still due to be in the lower 40’s last night. The other flower varieties haven’t outgrown their seedling trays yet.
I picked the below variety because it was just beautiful. Check it out here: Gloriosa Daisy (Rudbeckia). “Easy to grow, loves full sun but will tolerate partial shade and is heat and drought tolerant.” But mine are definitely too small yet to re-plant.
I separated several vegetable varieties into larger pots, too.
We have 9 okra that came up. They’re basically little baby okra so far, but the seed trays I used were pitifully small. So they got up-sized and I just put them each in the largest containers I have so I won’t have to do again before we transplant them outside. They grow super fast anyway.
I seeded 4 zucchinis, and 3 have come up so far. But, only 1 was big enough to re-pot. But still, another baby plant. They are so darn cute!
Our bell peppers are not growing optimally. They were seeded a month ago and still haven’t gotten much past the sprout stage. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong with them. It seems like I had this problem last year, too, and we ended up transplanting them late.
Update: It looks like bell peppers need to be seeded in warmer temps. I only have grow lights out in the garage, so that’s where I set them. That was likely my mistake. I need to grow these seedlings INDOORS in warm temps! (reference)
I finally snapped a pic of our slip producing sweet potato. It’s so slow-growing. Everything is an experiment! This is the first time I’ve tried growing my own slips, and like everything else, it’s a learning process. I’m just happy there are some slips taking off at all!
And on a happy note, my houseplants are doing wonderfully.